Here in the Northeast it’s soup season. But beware!
Most soups that come in a can or a carton are full of scary stuff, like sugar and impossible to pronounce ingredients. And like most processed foods, they’re expensive.
My simple and adaptable recipe for homemade soup is affordable, fast, and healthful.
Simply pick your favorite frozen veggie (so far I’ve made this recipe with peas, carrots, broccoli, mushrooms, and butternut squash) and grab a few basic pantry staples.
In less than an hour, and for under $7 (less if you make your own bone broth!) you’ll have homemade soup that will make your home smell fantastic and your gut microbiome very happy!Print
It’s Soup Season!
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 2-4 1x
- 1 Thinly Sliced Shallot $0.60
- 1 lb./16 oz. Frozen Vegetable $2.69 (average)
- 1 qt./32 oz./4 Cups Broth (homemade or low-sodium boxed – check the ingredients!) $0 – $3.69
- 2 Cups Water
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil over medium heat.
- Add sliced shallots and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook shallots for 10-12 minutes until soft, fragrant, and slightly caramelized.
- Add broth, 1 cup water, and bag of frozen veggies.
- Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil.
- Once veggies are fork tender – timing will depend on the type of veggie you’re using – blend until smooth and creamy.
- If soup is too thick, add 1 cup of water.
- Let simmer for at least 30 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning & enjoy!
1. I typically use a shallot when making soup, but if you don’t care for the flavor or don’t have a shallot on hand you can use a small onion or 2 cloves of garlic.
2. I love using homemade bone broth for the soup but – I’m going to quote Ina here – low-sodium store bought is fine! Just be sure to read the label and pick the cleanest brand you can find. In fact, when we hosted friends for dinner who are vegan I made carrot soup using boxed veggie broth. It was DELISH!
3. I highly recommend a hand-held blender for this recipe. The consistency will be smooth and creamy. Plus it’s so easy to clean!