- 1 lb. Hot or Sweet Sausage (without casing)
- 1/4 Bag or 1 Bunch Chopped/Washed Organic Kale
- 1 Can Cannellini Beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 28 oz. Can Stewed Organic Tomatoes
- 4 Cups Low Sodium Chicken Stock or Homemade Bone Broth
- 1 Medium Diced Onion
- 2–3 Cloves Minced Garlic
- 1 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- Shredded Parmesan (optional)
- Salt & Pepper
- In a large dutch oven, gently warm olive oil and add diced onion.
- When the onion becomes soft and translucent, add garlic, salt & pepper to taste.
- Cook until garlic becomes fragrant – don’t let it burn!
- Add sausage and break it up into bite-size pieces as it cooks.
- For extra heat, add crushed red pepper flakes (optional).
- Once cooked through add stewed tomatoes, chicken broth & 2 cups of water.
- Add beans.
- Bring to a rolling boil.
- As the stew boils, use a spoon to gently skim the foam from the top. This will make the beans easier to digest.
- Once the foam has been removed, bring the stew down to a simmer – uncovered.
- Allow to simmer for at least 45 minutes – the longer, the better.
- Add water, and salt & pepper if needed (just remember, salt becomes more concentrated as it cooks).
- Five minutes before serving, add the kale and allow to cook just until bright green.
- Top with shredded Parmesan (optional).
You can swap out the kale for spinach but you’ll need 3/4-1 bag to get the same delicious result!